[pmwiki-users] Newbie trying to understand Login/Logout

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:50:33 CDT 2011

Hi Peter,

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Peter Bowers <pbowers at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Dave Hylands <dhylands at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to use PmWiki in order to create web pages, but I don't
>> really want anybody else to be able to edit them.
>
> Check out http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Passwords.  You'll notice the
> first sentence says support for this is built-in.  Basically you need to
> read through that page to determine how to *set* passwords (whether for the
> entire site [PmWiki/Passwords#faq or
> PmWiki/PasswordsAdmin#settingsitewidepasswords], a group
> [PmWiki/Passwords#groupattr], or an individual page
> [PmWiki/Passwords#pageattr]) and then whenever you try to edit that page you
> will be automatically prompted for the password.
>
> Nothing at all you you need to do beyond install straight vanilla PmWiki and
> then set passwords.

So I have the passwords stuff working. I've noticed a couple of things
I don't understand.

1 - If I put something like

(:if enabled AuthPw:)
Logged on as {$AuthId}
[[{$FullName}?action=logout | Logout]]
(:ifend:)

Then AuthId shows properly when I'm logged in as one of the users
added to SiteAdmin.AuthUsers. However AuthId is empty if I'm logged in
as admin. How can I tell if I'm logged in as admin?

I think I've finally figured out the login thing. What I did (so it
will show up in the archives) for the time being is to put

[[{$FullName}?action=login | Login]]

in the SideBar. Eventually, I'll remove this and put it on a dedicated
login page.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada