[pmwiki-users] Survey of browser settings

Radu Luchian radu at monicsoft.net
Sun May 15 16:56:19 CDT 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 14:13, Randy Brown <alongkiss at aprivatespot.com>wrote:

> I have a quick two question informal survey. Perhaps we can all learn from
> each other and / or improve PmWiki's documentation about browser settings
> (that is, the XL capability provided on Site.Preferences):
>
> 1. Do your own personal settings (for accesskeys, editform, or other
> things) differ from PmWiki's defaults? If so, what choices did you make, and
> why?

Yes, because I serve in different languages. The access key sets fits the
particular language.
It would also depend on what navigation scheme your wiki relies, on whether
your users prefer keyboarding vs. mouse-handling, etc.

> 2. What percentage of your users do you think actually take advantage of
> this customization feature? What choices are they making, and why?

Donno... And frankly, don't care :) I'd expect that people who interact with
the wiki a lot (fast prototyping, collaborative projects and such), would
use the access keys (my users do only CMS-like web site maintenance)

> My own questions: (1) I have added accesskey F to go to the FAQ page, and
> I've made my edit form 23 rows by 70 columns because I like to see that much
> context when editing.

Not questions, these. The second part (1) is rendered moot under Firefox 4,
since users can change the size of any field by dragging the bottom-right
corner, Mac-style.

> (2) I'm the only person I know who customizes the browser settings.

Yeah. And as far as we know we are part of the only civilization in the
Universe. ;) And trees don't make any sound when they fall in the forest
because there's nobody there to hear it.