[pmwiki-users] Upgrade to 2.2.35 : problem with some page using apostrophe

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Nov 13 19:36:40 CST 2011

On 14/11/11 11:43 AM, ABClf wrote:
> Yes, I guess part (all ?) of the problem is related to the copy-pasted
> text ; my German friend used Microsoft Word to write his text before
> copying it in PmWiki (though he tells me he doesn't do this all the
> time).
>

>>  From Wikipedia:
>>   It is very common to mislabel Windows-1252 text with the charset label
>>   ISO-8859-1. A common result was that all the quotes and apostrophes
>>   (produced by "smart quotes" in Microsoft software) were replaced with
>>   question marks or boxes on non-Windows operating systems, making text
>>   difficult to read. Most modern web browsers and e-mail clients treat the
>>   MIME charset ISO-8859-1 as Windows-1252 in order to accommodate such
>>   mislabeling. This is now standard behavior in the draft HTML 5
>>   specification, which requires that documents advertised as ISO-8859-1
>>   actually be parsed with the Windows-1252 encoding.

I use the following code to turn these characters into the corresponding
html entities:

foreach(array(130 => 'sbquo',
               131 => 'fnof',
               132 => 'bdquo',
               133 => 'hellip',
               134 => 'dagger',
               135 => 'Dagger',
               137 => 'permil',
               138 => 'Scaron',
               139 => 'lsaquo',
               140 => 'OElig',
               145 => 'lsquo',
               146 => 'rsquo',
               147 => 'ldquo',
               148 => 'rdquo',
               149 => '#8226',
               150 => 'ndash',
               151 => 'mdash',
               152 => 'tilde',
               153 => 'trade',
               154 => 'scaron',
               155 => 'rsaquo',
               156 => 'oelig',
               159 => 'Yuml') as $k => $v)
     Markup("chr$k", 'inline', '/'.chr($k).'/', "&$v;");

JR

--
John Rankin