[pmwiki-users] URL/host based configuration

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Wed Nov 30 17:22:29 CST 2011

On Wednesday 30 November 2011 00:22:21, Simon wrote :
> but PmWiki chokes when I give it a URL such as
> http://a.example.com/pmwiki.php/My/HomePage and
> http://b.example.com/pmwiki.php/My/HomePage
>
> PS recipes such as http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WikiFarmAlternative
>  and http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WikiFarmStepByStep assume separate
> domain names
>
> PPS I don't care too much if I have to have full separate installs of
> PmWiki, I'd just like it to work when the URL is of the form a.pmwiki.org

You may need to first enable and configure the different subdomains. Your DNS
provider should enable new subdomains a.example.com and b.example.com on your
domain example.com, and it should point them to your hosting provider. The DNS
provider will reply to the browsers searching for a.example.com, that the
subdomain exists and the site can be found at the address 256.257.258.259 for
example which is your hosting provider.

The hosting provider should also enable the new subdomain names: the web
server at 256.257.258.259 should know that the a.example.com subdomain exists
and where its root directory is, in order to send to the browser the files
from that directory.

In many (most?) cases your hosting provider also manages your DNS records, so
it should be easy. Sometimes enabling and using additional subdomains costs
more than the basic plan (only www. subdomain). Search through the
documentation of your hosting provider.

Petko