[pmwiki-users] How does Q:-markup feature really work?

Thu Oct 11 23:24:11 CDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM, tamouse mailing lists
<tamouse.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM, SteP <step.list+pmwiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just don't get it. I've looked at the HTML and CSS code that PmWiki outputs for the Q: (question) markup,
>> and I can't spot anything that makes it render a dropcap, all I can see is that for "Q: some text" PmWiki
>> generates <p class="question">some text</p> and no special CSS styles. So how does the magic work?
>> 'Cause I can see a dropcap indeed! Also, I would like to change the color of the dropcap from black to
>> something else, but I can't find a way to do it. It's a mistery to me. Please someone shed some light before
>> I get insane.
>
> The pmwiki default styles are:
>
>   div.faq p, div.faq pre { margin-left:2em; }
>   div.faq p.question { margin:1em 0 0.75em 0; font-weight:bold; }
>
> These are by default emitted into the header directly, no stylesheet included.
>
> If you are getting a drop cap there, somewhere these are being
> overridden, either in a skin, in a recipe, or some local
> configuration.

(Sorry, hit send too soon.)

To find out where a particular style is being set, depending on your
browser, you can inspect the element to find out what styles are
attached to it and where they come from. Firebug extension in Firefox,
Inspector in Safari and Chrome (or Firebug extensions for these as
well), no idea in IE or Opera or others.