[pmwiki-users] How does Q:-markup feature really work?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Fri Oct 12 16:40:42 CDT 2012

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM, tamouse mailing lists
> <tamouse.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM, SteP <step.list+pmwiki at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I just don't get it. I've looked at the HTML and CSS code that PmWiki
>>> outputs for the Q: (question) markup,
>>> and I can't spot anything that makes it render a dropcap, all I can see
>>> is that for "Q: some text" PmWiki
>>> generates <p class="question">some text</p> and no special CSS styles.
>>> So how does the magic work?
>>> 'Cause I can see a dropcap indeed! Also, I would like to change the
>>> color of the dropcap from black to
>>> something else, but I can't find a way to do it. It's a mistery to me.
>>> Please someone shed some light before
>>> I get insane.
>>
>> The pmwiki default styles are:
>>
>>   div.faq p, div.faq pre { margin-left:2em; }
>>   div.faq p.question { margin:1em 0 0.75em 0; font-weight:bold; }
>>
>> These are by default emitted into the header directly, no stylesheet
>> included.
>>
>> If you are getting a drop cap there, somewhere these are being
>> overridden, either in a skin, in a recipe, or some local
>> configuration.

The markup extensions recipe has an option (turned on by default) to
render the Q as a drop-cap.

The administrator can disable the drop-cap by setting

$MarkupExtensions['q&a'] = false;

before loading the recipe. The recipe defines the following styles:

    $HTMLStylesFmt['q&a'] = "
p.question { margin-top: 2.0em; }
p.question:first-letter {
    float: left;
    font-family: Old English, Georgia, serif;
    color: #777777;
    font-size: 200%;
    line-height: 1.0em;
    margin-right: 0.2em;