[pmwiki-users] managing images

Fri Mar 15 06:08:15 CDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 5:58 AM, jdd <jdd at dodin.org> wrote:
> Le 15/03/2013 11:30, tamouse mailing lists a écrit :
>

>> What I would suggest, as an alternative to moving big chunks of image
>> data around, that as long as you have them in a gallery/repository of
>> some kind, is createa custom Page Variable [1] that encapsulates the
>> location. Then, if at some point in the future you decide to move
>> things from piwigo, you can just change the page variable and have it
>> point at the new location.
>
> (...)
>
> pretty nice, thanks, I will save this for future use.
>
> Notice I have no room problem for photos, I got 700Gb+ disk space and use
> less than 30% (and I wont link so many photos, hopefully :-)

It wasn't actually the space consideration, as much as the time spent
transferring those gigabytes of info, which seems to be where you came
in...

> thanks
>
> I was just thinking than there may be an .htaccess rewrite rule possible if
> ever I change photo location

That might be possible? But it is pretty arcane, and only works with
Apache (and even the Apache folks don't like it). If you moved to a
different host down the road, you might end up with a different
server, too. To my mind, handling this sort of thing in the
application itself, where the most knowledge is *and* where it can be
made more obvious what is going on, is much better. But then we begin
to talk about application design/development...