[pmwiki-users] RFC: Deleting pages from the core documentation

Vince Administration vadmin at math.uconn.edu
Sun Sep 8 20:18:51 CDT 2013

On Sep 8, 2013, at 2:40 AM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:

>> I don't believe we should be trying to keep old links working for wikis that have not updated their software for year.
>> And I'm not in favour of many PmWiki redirect page files (in wiki.d) that confuse with real pages, show up in pagelists and searches, and confuse wiki users.
>> While I agree there is a social contract to redirect, there is also a social contract to update, and as a group with limited resources I'd favour maintainability and keeping the effort low, over having redirect pages.
>
> It is not only about old links working, it is also about leaving unused pages with obsolete content on a wiki which upgraded to the latest version.
>
> The argument "confuse with real pages, show up in pagelists and searches" is valid and also needs addressing. Maybe a Summary: line like "Redirects to RealPage" will help?
>
> Petko
Thanks for all this Petko, et. al.
Here is what I would like, or need for my installation.
I would like the files to be gone, and I mean really gone.  That means I would be happy with a brand new wikilib directory, with no obsolete entries.  PmWiki does not change things (at lest not often) to worry about people (on my site) remembering things that used to be and no longer are.  There are only two possible problems:
1. Pages no longer work the way they used to.
and
2. Recipes sometimes store pages in wikilib, and these would have to be recreated.  Or maybe the recipes only appear to put stuff into wikilib.d, but actually have their own.

   Vince