[pmwiki-users] RFC: Deleting pages from the core documentation

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Mon Sep 9 10:17:32 CDT 2013

Petko Yotov wrote:

[...]

>When someone upgrades from an old version, the core documentation gets
>updated too, but only existing and new pages. If a page was removed from the
>distribution and someone upgrades, they will still have the old page in
>their wikilib.d directory, with the old content. So they will have an orphan

this is likely true for most people but not for me since I use a
directory comparison tool (Beyond Compare) for updating PmWiki (and
other content on the sites I maintain).

This way I see immediately which pages are gone and can decide whether
to keep my local copy or not. BTW I have also a view filter for PmWiki
pages in Beyond Compare so I can see (and compare) the page source and
metadata well formatted.

Really great to synchronise installations and maintain local (backup)
copies.

[...]

>So my question to the community is should we delete empty pages or redirect
>them to the latest place of the content? Are there other pros and cons?

I vote for "delete without redirect" in most cases.

Oliver