[pmwiki-users] quoted text markup

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Thu Sep 22 05:02:49 CDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 6:15 AM, H. Fox <haganfox at users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:

> Example Company says {"Always properly quote
> examples.|http://example.com/Main/Quoting"}
>
> would produce
>
>    Example Company says <q
> cite="http://example.com/Main/Quoting">Always properly quote
> examples.</q>

You've may well have the right order since the cite attribute is optional
and the quote itself primary, but the syntax is so reminiscent of a link ([[
http://example.com/Main/Quoting|Quoting Link]]) that I would prefer a
consistency in the order, putting the link first and the text second.
Otherwise, knowing myself, I will confuse myself because they are so
similar but with the order reversed...  So here's what I would like to see
(probably in descending order of preference):

===(snip)===
1. Example Company says {"http://example.com/Main/Quoting|Always properly
quote examples."} (this feels very pmwiki-ish to me)

-or-

2. Example Company says {"Always properly quote examples."}{[
http://example.com/Main/Quoting]} (whitespace between the 2 elements would
be OK)

-or- (to move it away from the similarity to the link)

3. Example Company says {"Always properly quote examples."}[[
http://example.com/Main/Quoting]] (no whitespace would be allowed between
closing "}" and opening "[[" to differentiate between a quote followed by a
link)

-or-

4. Example Company says {"Always properly quote examples."[[
http://example.com/Main/Quoting]]} (no pipe symbol makes this feel like a
different type of markup)

I just know when 2 markups are really similar but with small differences
they tend to get mixed up - at least in my mind.

-Peter