[pmwiki-users] update to PHP 8 (video5)

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Oct 28 14:22:47 PDT 2022

On 28/10/2022 22:08, jdd at dodin.org wrote:
> Le 28/10/2022 à 20:53, Petko Yotov a écrit :
>
>> Yes, see pmwiki.org/Troubleshooting.
>
> yes, I did, but no use for this particular problem
>
>  Sometimes recipes only register
>> actions to be performed later by PmWiki, or functions to be called
>> later; until PmWiki tries to do what the recipe has requested, there
>> may
>> be no obvious errors.
>
> don't seems to be the case here

Calls to Markup() or Markup_e() are the case here. :-)

They configure patterns and replacement text or replacement functions to
be called by PmWiki later, at specific moments of the markup processing.

> What I couldn't understand is how do pmwiki think the cookbook
> is too old, I don't see anything in it

Here is how it works:

1. Regular expressions with the "/e" pattern modifier are "too old"
because they have been deprecated in PHP 5.5, and removed in PHP 7.0.

2. Calls to Markup_e(), PCCF(), PPRE(), PPRA() are "too old" when they
call create_function() which has been deprecated in PHP 7.2 and removed
in PHP 8.0.

If you run a PHP version that doesn't allow the configuration requested
by the recipe, in many cases now PmWiki considers that the markup rule
is "too old" and disables it with the appropriate notification, rather
than leaving a PHP warning or a crash.

If you run an older PHP version, even recent PmWiki versions should
work, with older configuration recipes.

> So I can manage video5 as well if necessary

As I wrote in my previous email, I have updated the Video5 recipe today.
The new version should work with PHP up to 8.2.

Feel free to take over the maintenance of this recipe if its authors
cannot support it and you want to support it. The GNU GPL license chosen
by the authors allows for modification and redistribution.

Petko