[pmwiki-users] 404 Not Found

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 24 20:15:50 CST 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 01:38:02AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> I changed the Site.PageNotFound to give the other alternatives for
> creating  a new page.
>
> Then I did  a little test:
> Created a page Test77.Test (first page in a new group).
> Then from that page clicked on the Group link in the title,
> which tool me to Main.Test77 with the PageNotFound template,
> asking if I would like to
> #  Create Main.Test77?
> #  Create Test77.Test77?
> #  Create Test77.HomePage?
>
> I was of course naively expecting to come to the group's homepage
> (which does not exists). So i was surprised to be in group Main.
> Still with the second and third choice i could have been to the
> group's home or index page. But the first choice in this scenario did
> not make any sense.
>
> The flipside to this is if i am for instance wanting to go to
> Main.Test77, which does not exist. Then the options to create
> Test77.Test77 or Test77.HomePage don't make much sense.
>
> So i wonder if these not desired options can be filtered out?

Unfortunately, it's often difficult to infer desire from urls --
desire often depends on context.  :-)

But I think your examples illustrate the problem(s) nicely.  I
think I agree with Hagan Fox that here we're probably better
off presenting fewer options instead of more by default, and
leave it to the site administrator to customize to whatever
specific options are desired.  Thus, we should probably have
either Test77.Test77 or Test77.HomePage but not both.

Next, the list of choices should be displayed *only* when a
partial url is given.  If a full pagename is given in the url,
as in http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test77/XYZFoo, then an author should
only be given the link to create Test77.XYZFoo and not XYZFoo.XYZFoo
or XYZFoo.HomePage.  If we need a flag to make this happen, I
guess I can come up with one, but it seems like there ought to
be a way to do it without a special flag.

Back to the case of the partial url, since the most common reason
for having a partial url would seem to be that someone is trying
to reach a group home page, I suspect that either Test77.Test77
or Test77.HomePage ought to appear in the list before Main.Test77,
which seems the least likely intent.