[pmwiki-users] A couple of wiki questions

Clemens Gruber cgruber at uni-osnabrueck.de
Sat May 13 10:08:28 CDT 2006

David Goadby wrote:

>If I set the default password for admin wiki access can I still set an
>additional password (group? page?) to keep prying eyes out of the wiki setup areas?

Hi David,

yes, you can do this. You can create a file with the same name as the
group and ".php" and save it in /local/ this is a config-file only for
the group and overrides the settings in local.php

If you have the group /my-private-area/ you can add the file
/local/my-private-area.php with $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = 'verrysecret';

You can do this too by using the webinterface, e.g. with

> */To set a password on a wiki group/* is slightly more difficult--you
> just set the passwords on a special page in each group called
> "GroupAttributes". First, you can get to the attributes page for
> GroupAttributes by entering a URL (address) like
> |http://www.example.com/pmwiki.php?n=GroupName.GroupAttributes?action=attr|.

s. http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Passwords

on this way you can also set a password for a page
|http://www.example.com/pmwiki.php?n=GroupName.SiteName?action=attr|.

>Any idea how those magic "swirly graphic" passwords are generated in PHP?
>Could I generate and change the password for each user login by creating a
>paasword and dynamically changing $DefaultPasswords['admin']?

Perhaps it's enough to set a password and write it as normal text or
graphic on the page. May you try this first.

Clemens