[pmwiki-users] htpasswdForm

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 04:06:11 CDT 2007

On 7/24/07, Sameer Kumar <skumar at eharch.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your quick response, Dominique.
>

> Currently, when I arrive at the homepage, I see a default PmWiki login form.
>

> How can I replace this with a customized login form which would offer a link
> for registration of a new user?
>
> How and where do I create the new user registration form?
>

> Also, please see my response below to your previous questions:
>

> On 7/24/07, Sameer Kumar <skumar at eharch.com> wrote:
>
> > "Most certainly, the local/authuser directory itself is missing..."
>
> > Does this mean that I should create this directory manually?
>

> Yes, the recipe handle only the files, not the full directory path to them.
>

> > Further on the issue of single-signon and authentication:
>

> > Is there a recommended method of logon between the following:
>

> > 1.      AuthUser with hardcoded userid's and passwds in the wiki
>

> > 2.      AuthUser with LADP access for existing userids + passwords
>

> > 3.      Single-Signon with mod_auth_sspi in apache
>

> IMHO, you should choose the method according to your
>
> "exploitation-context". The answer to some questions like below may
>
> help you to decide:
>

> Are you dealing with one our more operating system?
>
> Ans: It would be either Windows or Mac OS.
>

> How are your user authenticated on it/them?
>
> Ans: We logon into our Windows Network (WinServer2003) through Windows
> logon. I am not sure how the Mac OS users logon.
>

> In an heterogeneous enviroment, are the all the different auth
>
> mecanisms synched together?
>
> Ans: I think they are. That is how we share all the network drives.
>

> Is there a "politically-correct" way of leading user authentication in
>
> your organization?
>
> Ans: I don't know. What does that mean?
>

> How many users are planned?
>
> Ans: Around 30. It would not be a big deal to manually create the users if
> we chose to.
>

> Do they really need to be authenticated individually?
>
> Ans: Yes, it is important to document the authors for the wiki to be
> successful.

> > I am running Apache on Windows XP and my understanding is that each of
> these
>
> > options are possible for my setup.
>

> > I will appreciate any help on making this decision.

IMHO, since your server runs on Windows, I would give a try with sspi:

On the client side, NTLM enabled browsers would supply a transparent
auth procedure, others would handle it through http basic
authentication.
On the PmWiki side, the Single-SignOn cookbook recipe fully applies:
no need for HtPasswordForm.

If this don't work for you, you may then always be able to get back to
more robusts solution like AuthUser with/out HtPasswordForm as you
wish, with the drawback to have to redefine user accesses and perhaps
also to loose the transparent auth feature.

By "politically-correct", I was refering to the need to follow some
usage and definition patterns that are used to be ruled in
organizations.

--
Dominique