[pmwiki-users] "Ghost Pages" in RecentChanges

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 07:46:07 CDT 2006

On 10/17/06, Steve Glover <steve at fell-services.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way, please, to stop deleted pages showing up in the
> RecentChanges page?
>
> We had a page Documents.ConversionTools visible to all users of our site
> that we replaced by Main.ConversionTools (visible only to logged-in
> users). However, the Documents.RecentPages still shows ConversionTools
> with a questionmark, and we'd really like it not to be visible at all.
>
> Taking the extreme action of deleting the RecentPages page didn't help -
> the ghost page still showed up on searches - and recreating the
> RecentPages page not only didn't magically pick up the changes listed
> before, but ended up formatting the subsequent changes into a very
> narrow column....
>
> Is there a way to regenerate the RecentChanges page based only on pages
> that actually exist?

Keep in mind that (All)RecentChanges pages are NOT pagelist-generated.
 They aren't dynamically generated. They're files that are written to
as edits are saved on the wiki.  So what's there is there, just as if
you'd written it yourself.

Why the deleted page keeps showing up in searches, I don't know.  Nor
do I know why the newly-created RecentChanges is formatted oddly.  If
you delete it from the server, and let the wiki create it, going
forward, it might clean itself up, but it won't pick up prior edits,
for the reason stated above.

There are recipes that touch on the issue of RecentChanges revealing
too much -- see Cookbook/PrivateGroups, on the PmWiki.org site.
Meanwhile, PM's announcement of the latest beta suggests he's resolved
some issue or other (well over my head) with ghosts.

HTH.

Tegan