[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0: add Site.SiteHeader and Site.SiteFooter

kjettil kjettil at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 16 15:47:17 CDT 2007

Hans wrote:
> Saturday, June 16, 2007, 7:58:49 PM, Sandy wrote:
>
>> I'd expect Site.SiteHeader to have stuff that's currently part of the
>> skin, and as such not easy to suppress. (Depending on one's view of skin
>> vs content.)
>>
> GroupHeader is in a way already a misnomer, as it defines the
> top-of-content part: content which goes on top/before page content.
> GroupFooter likewise.
> ContentTop and ContentBottom would be more accurate.
> But with these names firmly in use I think Site.AllGroupHeader
> is quite useful, as it applies to all groups (and all
> pages). Especially if it is turned off on a page with
> (:nogroupheader:)
>
> Perhaps an additional proposal:
> Site.SiteHeader may be used as an alternative for GroupHeader:
> if there is no GroupHeader page in a group, and there is
> a Site.SiteHeader page, then that page gets used. If there is a
> GroupHeader page, SiteHeader will not be used. Similar to
> Group.SideBar and Site.SideBar
If I at the start of discussion thought I understand Pm's question, I'm
now completely confused. There seems to be quite a few interpretations.

A fairly normal web page structure is, almost like a written page on
paper, from top to bottom

1 - a header
2a - a navigation column (SideBar i PmWiki speech)
2b - a "contents" column (to the left, sometimes to the right, of the
navigation column) (Page in PmWiki speech)
3 - a footer

I first got the impression that $Group.GroupHeader was something that
(in principle, depending on skin design) was added on top of 2b (i.e on
the top of the Page) and, similarly, that $Group.GroupFooter was added
at the bottom of the Page (and NOT replacing 1 and 3, respectively).
With that interpretation, the suggested terminology seemed logical and
useful (e.g. to create "sub-sites" within a site, with different look
and feel, by using Group-specific sub-headers and sub-footers (but with
common site-wide header and footer).

But now ... Was that the original intention? The above? Hans proposal?
Or what?

Should we perhaps just see them as web site page elements ("applets"),
that can used at will by the skin designer, without having any web site
structure idea behind?

/kjettil